Welcome to Shipwright School International Alumni Portal
Shipwright School (SWS) was established at INS Shivaji in 1941 for training shipwright artificers of Indian Navy. The School was subsequently shifted to Naval Barracks, Mumbai (now INS Angre) in 1943 due proximity to Naval Dockyard. With passage of time and the increased induction of naval platforms, need was felt to have a dedicated training establishment with independent facilities for training of shipwright apprentices. The Unit was shifted to the present premises at Visakhapatnam in 1981 view availability of sufficient land and proximity to Naval Dockyard and Hindustan Shipyard Limited. The Constructors Training Office, which was earlier part of Naval Dockyard, Visakhapatnam was also shifted to Shipwright School in 1986. The Eastern Naval Command NBCD Hard was also set up at Shipwright School in 1988 to impart refresher training in NBCD to personnel of ENC.
Over the last 70 years, SWS (V) has become the hub of training for Naval Architect officers, Special Duty Shipwright officers (SDSW), Shipwright sailors and civilian employees of Indian Navy, encompassing training in warship/ submarine design, overseeing of warship/ submarine construction, quality assurance in shipbuilding, hull maintenance and hull inspection/ trials of IN ships/ submarines. Besides, SWS (V) conducts regular training of Naval Architect officers and sailors of foreign navies - Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Mauritius, Ghana, Seychelles, Turkmenistan, Tanzania and Oman. The Unit also imparts refresher training (on daily basis) in Nuclear Biological Chemical Defence and Damage Control (NBCD) to officers and sailors of Eastern Naval Command (ENC). The total number of personnel being trained in a year at SWS (V) is approximately 650 (for all courses conducted by the Unit).
©2020. All Rights Reserved.